07/21/2020

The Birth of FACE- Test #1

This is the first ever practical test of F.A.C.E. - Fire Activated Canister Extinguisher, using solid retardant with an aerosol-like dispersion. This test allowed me to determine that the height of the canister needed to be lower relative to a fire in order to achieve sufficient contact for supression.

 

08/15/2020

Baby Steps- Test #2

Building off of the information from the first test, where the retardant was propelled a very limited distance, I changed my experimental setup to mount FACE closer to the ground in a more open environment. This test allowed me to determine that a switch from a solid-based retardant to a liquid one would be the best option for consistent dispersion and suppression.

 

09/01/2020

Liquid Retardant- Test #3

After my observations in the last test, where the solid retardant was still largely ineffective, I made the switch to a liquid, and utilized 2 pans to gather the total water emitted to determine flow rate. In this setup, only water was used without retardant. As a result of this test, I was able to make modifications to the flow rate of the water, as well as deduce that the distance from the extinguisher to the fire needed to be closer.

 

09/10/2020

Getting Closer- Test #4

This test was the first to utilize actual fire which was not artificially maintained by a lighter. Based on the results of the previous test, where the amount of water over the period of time was slightly lower than it should have been, I modified the flow rate of the water, as well as the air/water ratio within the canister. As a result of this test, I was able to hone the flow rate and radius even more in order to get a more effective suppression.

 

09/15/2020

A Functional Design- Test #5

This was the first fully effective test of FACE, yielding 100% fire suppression in a complete and controlled manner. This test utilized a modified pressure and air/water ratio in order to achieve a longer water flow. As a result of this test, I finalized the golden ratios of elements within the canister, and decided to work on scaling up the effective radius of the extinguisher.